<$BlogRSDURL$>

Thursday, May 13, 2004

The nomenclature of motherhood is complex. For instance, I never thought I'd be a Momma. I assumed I'd be Mommy. But as my pregnancy crept forward (and my midsection crept outward), "Mommy" just felt like that itchy sweater that never fit quite right.

I spent a lot of time online before Ronan was born (thanks to my not-so-demanding desk job), and I noticed that many moms in the cloth diapering community (yes, there *is* a cloth diapering community!) called themselves "Mommas." Somehow this seemed to sync with my vision of motherhood. A little crunchy, not so surburban.

And then there's the grandparents. One set is already established as Nonna and Papa. But I feel kind of bad for JP, because that rules out "Papa" for him. (Of course, now that Ronan is babbling "dadada," JP's probably fine with Dada!) My mother waited a long time for her grandchildren, and she devoted a lot of thought to her title. She is Grammy; my dad, having never expressed a preference, has been assigned the classic Grandpa.

Of course, ultimately Ronan will decide. Whatever name he gives me, even if it's Mommy, will be perfect.
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?